As a digital multimedia container format that most commonly used to store video and audio, MP4 file types are widely used by many online movie stream sites or device records such as camera/camcorder/smartphone/tablets, etc to store footage on. People's needs to edit MP4 video can be very basic and they may simply want to trim unwanted sections out of a clip, sometimes, they might want to complete more advanced tasks such as adding transitions, apply special effects or using greenscreen tools to create a master piece. The good news is that most of your MP4 video editing work can be easily completed with the following 5 best free MP4 video editor.
Best Free MP4 Video Editor
#1 Windows Movie Maker
Windows Movie Maker is a free video editing tool created by Microsoft for beginners with intuitive and easy to navigate interface. It comes standard with any Windows computer, making it one of the most popular video editing tools available. To import MP4 video to Windows Movie Maker, the MP4 video must be encoded with MPEG-4 compression codec. With Windows Movie Maker, you can snip MP4 video, mute soud in the MP4 video clip, add backaround music to MP4 video or add screen titles as well as video transitions and effects to MP4 video.
- It is easy to use.
- It has multiple output options.
- It features many video editing options.
It is known for suffering from frequent crashes.
- The program freezes quite often.
- It is not uninstallable through the Add/Remove control panel.
- You can't do complex editing using Windows Movie Maker.
- You are limited to have only one video tracks and can't use Alpha Channels or Green Screen Footage in the program.
Supported Platform: Vista, Windows XP, 7, and 8
It has never been easier to make movies with iMovie. Just choose the clips you want to use. Insert titles, add effects, and create a full soundtrack with powerful tools that are as simple as drag and drop. iMovie even supports 4K video for stunning cinema-quality films.
- User-friendly interface
- Improved audio editing and fun movie trailers
- Not support direct import
- Very time consuming to import trans-coding and pre-processsing
Supported Platform: Mac OS X 10.2 or later
This free video editing software is a set of essential tools for everyday video editing covering all of the basics such as converting between formats, trimming footage, appending one clip to another, and applying filters and effects. While Avidemux doesn't offer the most extensive video editing feature set, it's not a pared-back Windows Movie Maker style affair either. You might have to go hunting for some of the more advanced options, and using them may require you to look at some of the many online tutorials written by its community of users.
- It is fairly simple to use and is lightweight.
- It has a great selection of filters.
- It has a command line interface meant for advance users.
- The interface is outdated.
- In some formats it may drop frames.
- It can be complicated for new users.
Supported Platform: Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7
#4 VSDC Free Video Editor
As a non-linear editor, VSDC works in rather a different way to many other similar tools, letting you position video clips and other elements on the timeline wherever you like and edit them there. This approach makes VSDC incredibly powerful and enables you to achieve results that would be impossible with other free video editing software, but a little guidance or better labelling would be welcome. With the ability to not only work with multiple scenes and transitions, but also to add sprites and text to videos, you can create a professional-quality movie if you're willing to stick with VSDC Free Video Editor's slightly odd way of working and unusual interface.
- It has different output options.
- It provides many useful filters.
- It is absolutely free.
- At a high level it requires computer resources such as RAM and CPU..
- Its interface is not very visceral.
Supported Platform: Windows 7 or newer
As most of the advanced free video editing software, Lightworks featuers an user-friendly interface and packed timeline, you can easily import, trim and seamlessly weave audio and video files together with a few effortless mouse clicks. On top of that, it also includes the features like profession-level color correction, video capture function, GPU-accelerated real-time effects and board video formats support.
- Customizable screens;
- Amount of video editing options;
- High video quality.
- It crashes occasionally;
- Requires a long learning curve.
Recommended MP4 Video Editor - Pavtube Video Converter
Looking for a more powerful MP4 video editor that not only has enhanced media compatibility but also packages all the simple video editing task into one app, Pavtube Video Converter for Windows/Mac can be your excellent choice. The program has full import support for MP4 files encoded with various different video and audio codec, in addition, you can complete all your desired video editing work with this one stop solution video editing application.Flip or roate video to change video display angel, trim or cut off video to remove unwanted parts or segments, crop video to remove unwanted black bars or area, merge separete video clips into one, split large video into small parts by file size, count or length, deinterlace interlace video to progressive format, dd video/image/transparent text watermark to video, apply special rendering effect, replace/remove audio in video, change video picture effect like brigthness, contrast or saturation, add external subtitle to MP4 video.
- Best 5 Free MP4 Video Editor - Edit MP4 Video For Free
- Add External SRT/ASS/SSA Subtitles to MP4 Video Without Encoding
- Different Solution for the 4K Video Workflow with Pinnacle Studio
- Best Way to Edit 4K Video with Sony Vegas Pro
- How to Play MP4 Files on Samsung TV from USB Port?
- How to Import and Edit MP4 Files with Lightworks?