When referring to M2TS, the first thing we notice might be “high-definition” and “blu-ray”. The M2TS format, which is widely used in high definition media storage and transportation, becomes much more familiar with us as the spread of blu-ray disc. For most of us, playing M2TS file is troublesome, since few media players support the format. As far as I know, only VLC Player and Mplayer play high-definition M2TS files well on Mac. If you’d like to enjoy M2TS contents via portable players like Western Digital TV Live box, converting M2TS to MKV is a good idea.
In the following guide I will share with you a full M2TS to MKV converting procedure and some tricks helps you complete the conversion easier with Pavtube MTS/ M2TS Converter for Mac. You may download the trial version of the Mac MTS/ M2TS Converter and give it a shoot. There is not any time limitation, but please note that the trial converts video with a Pavtube logo watermark on the screen.
OK, let’s focus on the M2TS to MKV conversion on Mac.
Step 1. Load M2TS files for conversion.
Run the MTS/ M2TS Video Converter, click “Add” button and browse to the M2TS files you’d like to convert, click “Choose” to confirm.
When the M2TS files are loaded to the program, you can view the videos from the Preview window. Simply select an item and click the “Play” button. When the video is playing, you may take snapshoot when it plays to your favorable frame by clicking the “Snapshoot” button.
Step 2. Select MKV as output format.
The Pavtube MTS/ M2TS Converter is capable of converting unprotected MTS, M2TS, M2T files to MKV, MP4, MOV, M4V, AVI and various other optimized formats for portable devices. Since we are trans-coding M2TS video to MKV, what you need is to click on the “Format” bar and select desired MKV format from the profile list.
M2TS is a typical HD video format with very high video and audio quality. Meanwhile it takes up much more space than other video formats. In order to save storage, you could follow “Common Video”-> “MKV Matroska Video” (*.mkv). If you are unwilling to degrade the HD M2TS video quality, “HD Video”-> “MKV HD Video” (*.mkv) is a better choice for you. You may also customize video and audio parameters in Settings panel. Simply click “Settings” button to and set the bitrate, frame rate, channels, sampling rate as desired values.
Step 3. Set output location.
Click “Browse” button and specify an output folder to save converted files. Click “Choose” to confirm.
Step 4. Convert M2TS files to MKV/ HD MKV.
Click “Convert” to start converting M2TS to MKV format when everything’s ready. The Mac MTS to MKV Converter supports batch conversion so you may load multiple M2TS and MTS files and convert them to MKV at one time. You may also merge them to one file by checking the box “Merge into one file” before conversion starts. After conversion you may click “Open” button to find generated MKV files.
Tricks of converting M2TS to MKV using Pavtube MTS/ M2TS Converter:
1. Let your Mac shut down automatically. Converting M2TS files is usually time-consuming. You do not need to be there waiting all the time till it completes. To set auto shutdown, just check “Shut down computer after conversion” before conversion starts.
2. Cut down the file size (shorten converting time). By setting a smaller video bitrate can you reduce the output file size. Another way is to set video codec as “h.264” instead of “xvid”, since h.264 encodes video with higher compress ratio with relative high quality.
3. Joint and split video clips. As mentioned above, you can combine files together by checking “Merge into one file”. To split video and trim off unwanted segments, you may click “Edit” menu, switch to “Trim” tab, and set starting and ending time to include the part you want to keep only, and then leave it to the M2TS to MKV converter.
4. Convert M2TS file to MKV with AC3 5.1 sound. Click “Settings” and set Audio Codec Name to “ac3” and Channels to “6” instead of “1” or “2”.
- Fix PS4 Pro Not Playing MKV File Issues
- Simple Way to Get MKV Played on Xbox One S from USB or Media Server
- How to Play MKV Files on VLC Smoothly?
- Best Way to Import MKV Files to iMovie for Editing on macOS Sierra
- 3 Ways to Play MKV Files with QuickTime Player on Mac
- How to convert TS to MKV for playback with VLC Media Player?