I am having problems playing an MP4 video on PowerPoint. When I use 'Insert movie from file' to try and insert an mp4 file, I get the following message "PowerPoint couldn't insert a movie from the selected file. Either the file is non-standard, or QuickTime is not properly installed."
When working on PPT for use on a demonstration or class, the Office PowerPoint provides us a "Insert" function to add picture, music and video into PowerPoint slide. Many people like to add short videos to make the PPT more attractive. But the video format supported by PowerPoint is limited. The best formats that all PowerPoint versions can support are AVI and WMV, which are created by Microsoft itself. MP4, MOV, MKV, Flash videos are not accepted by PowerPoint 2007 or 2003 version.
There are 2 ways for you to use MP4 in a PPT - either upgrade to PowerPoint 2010, or convert the MP4 video into WMV or AVI format. In the guide below I’ll show you how to transcode MP4 to WMV so that PowerPoint will like it.
This is a nice small took kit that lets you transcode between AVI, WMV, MKV, TS, MPG, MTS, M2TS, MOV, MP4, TOD, MOD, TiVo, etc. It also features basic editing features such as trimming, merging, cropping, watermarking, and audio replacing facility. By using the trimming action you can clip a specific duration from a video clip and turn it into PowerPoint preferred WMV format.
How to convert MP4 to WMV for embedding into PPT
Step 1. Run HD Video Converter, drag and drop source MP4 file(s) to the software.
Step 2. Click on “Format” bar, and select “PowerPoint>> WMV2 (*.wmv)” format from its drop-down profile list.
Step 3. Press on the big “Convert” button to get HD Video Converter convert MP4 to PowerPoint preferred WMV format.
Step 4. After conversion you can press “Open” to locate resulting file.
1. Trim out unwanted frames: Press shortcut key “Ctrl” + “E” to enter video editor, where you can set starting and ending frame.
2. Combine 2 or more videos into one: Check the “Merge into one file” box before conversion.
3. Preview output file size/adjust video quality: Press on “Settings” to preview estimate file size. For better quality, set video bitrate up. Otherwise set video bitrate down to 2000kbps or below.
How to add converted WMV file into PowerPoint
1. In PowerPoint, select the slide that you’d insert video.
2. Click the "Insert" menu and select "Movies and Sounds."
3. Choose "Movie From File" and browse to locate the video you want to insert.
4. Double-click the WMV file you just saved. The video will now appear in the PowerPoint slide.
- Convert 1080p MTS Videos to Windows Movie Maker
- How to Play AVCHD Video on Dune HD Player?
- Import and edit Nikon D3200 MOV video in Adobe Premiere
- Convert Canon XF305 MXF Footage to VOB Format for Playing on TV
- How to import Canon MXF Video to Cyberlink PowerDirector for Editing?
- Convert Canon 60D MOV to 1080p AVI/WMV for Editing and Playback